[IMC-US] RE: Indymedia Newsreal Tour Grant Proposal

Chris Anderson chanders_imc at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 18:30:32 CDT 2004

Hi everyone,

Look, the large-scale philosophical questions about
the value or evil of money, pay, or consumption are
not going to be resolved today on this forum.  There
are widely diverging attitudes about these questions
within the Indymedia network itself, and they are
probably not going to be resolved either-- nor, in my
opinion, should they be.

In my time on this and other Indymedia lists, I've
noticed a common pattern that any ambitious projects
are invariably greeted with a rash of very broad and
ideologically loaded philosophical questions.
Invariably, these questions are never answered and the
discussion trickles off due to sheer exhaustion. Then,
the group that had the big idea usually does what it
wanted to do in the first place ago-- if there is
still the time to do it. So far, the Indymedia network
has not collapsed as a result of these decisions, the
world has not ended, nor, for that matter, has
capitalism been overthrown-- leading me to believe
that all the discussion, while entertaining, doesn't
really do much for good or for ill.

Since we all know this is going to happen, can we try
to avoid it for once? And can we please try to focus
on the specific questions are related to this project?
After reading all the emails, i'm not sure I really
know what those questions actually are. Why are we
even talking about this?

all the best,
Chris Anderson
nyc-imc