[IMC-US] RE: Indymedia Newsreal Tour Grant Proposal

deva drdartist at riseup.net
Thu Jun 17 17:57:26 CDT 2004

I am not across the board opposed to grants. It does concern me when I
see over and over such statements as "I don't see how accepting grant
money could do anything besides help us better achieve our goals."

Money has destroyed many an organization. It is dangerous. The lack of
recognition of its danger makes it more dangerous. Please see this and
step into it with caution and open eyes.

I will make this statement as a challenge to the money mindset.

If you received $1,000,000 tomorrow, it would not help you at all.
Money cannot build. money cannot grow life, it cannot build intimacy or
trust. More often than not, it is used to shield from the necessity of
building trust and intimacy because that is hard work. More often than
not, it is a setback.

The mind seeks for the easy route, and that means money.

Mark Burdett made the point that money is not evil, that it is the love
of money that is. My reply is, show me the people who can separate the
two. Show me the person who does not secretly desire money, who does
not say I want money, who does not think that money will solve any
important problem. Show me the person who can walk away from that
$1,000,000 without looking back. Then I will show you the person who is
no longer a slave to money.

As for this issue. The problem is not the grant itself, but how the
money from it is intended to be used. to pay people to do indymedia
work, and for car rental and hotel costs. It is a problem because the
grant is being applied for in the indymedia name, and that name is the
result of countless people donating so much time and energy. Then
someone is going to take money for themselves. This is a misuse of all
the people who work hard for no pay who are the ones who make indymedia
something worthwhile in the first place.

deva
portland imc