[IMC-US] RE: Indymedia Newsreal Tour Grant Proposal

Ana ana at indymedia.org
Thu Jun 17 23:08:14 CDT 2004

i just want to remind people that indymedia is an amorphous network of
networks. it started well before many of the people who have chimed in so
far got involved or even knew what indymedia was. FSTV was from the
beginning and still is a part of this network of networks. it is the only
"national" broadcast outlet in the U.S. where independent and radical media
gets aired.  we should celebrate and support it, not fight it. we are all
struggling for the right to get these messages out in the face of  a
multi-billion dollar corporate media system. yet here we are fighting our
allies who want to work with us to develop systems where marginalized voices
can penetrate that corporate system. that doesnt make any sense.

FSTV helped to initiate the indymedia newsreal project many years ago, and
had faith in imc's to produce high quality content. unfortunately, not much
content came through. but instead of giving up, they have developed an
outreach and training project that hopes to deal with the practical
obstacles around grassroots video making. as some of you may have some idea,
video is an expensive medium, but its impact, especially when broadcast, is
massive.  someone objected to FSTV "paying for indymedia footage." actually
their proposal is that FSTV compensate producers $50 for each produced video
segment. i think that is noble. i know its easy for some of us to forget,
but there are many peopel who want to get their stories out that cant really
afford $7 mini dv tapes.

looking through the archives now, i see that sascha made the history point
already. but its worth repeating: assumptions are bad. knowing what came
before you is good.

lastly, there is a big difference between this and what bht called a
for-profit venture. non-profit does not mean that we dont ever touch or need
money. that is just naive. the fact that fstv is supporting its staff to do
this outreach project I dont think is anyone's business. Even so, i point
people to the indymedia principles of unity. when we drafted it, there was a
conscious decision to leave the question of paying people up to local imc's
and individual projects. it is not a network decision. i hope we can lay
that one to rest once and for all.

in solidarity
ana
nyc imc