[IMC-US] Indymedia Newsreal TourGrantProposal

Garth Liebhaber garthliebhaber at care2.com
Sat Jun 19 17:32:28 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I'd thought I dropped myself from the IMC-US list because
I felt left out, and that there was a innate social hierarchy
occurring which excluded me.  Apparently I'm still on it.  I
found it very interesting to see the POU #6 in a recent
email on that very list, as it indicates that my experience
is not what should be an Indymedia experience.  Readers
of this list will do what they will with this information, I
hope I will be given the dignity and be acknowledged for
my witness.

John,
    In your first email I think you made an outline of what
people are already doing.  They are saying how they feel
and where they stand.
     Concerning compromise; Sometimes things are simply
a bad idea and should not be done.  I appreciate when my
friends, family, community point such things out to me.  I
acknowledge that people become defensive in polarized
situations.  I think though, we must be careful of the
pathos which I've often seen utilized by one group to call
the other "nae sayers", and retreat into a purported higher
ground.
     Let continue to get things out on the table,
acknowledge what folks are saying, and address things in
concrete, tangible ways.

All,
     That said, I find this particular grant-seeking situation
apalling.  Speaking for myself and reflecting the
sentiments of several other Chicago IMC volunteers, I
don't think the tour should happen the way it is being
proposed.
     That local collectives have not been contacted about
levels of participation and support is patronizing, and
liberal.  If the tour continues as proposed, sometime this
summer some rental cars will be pulling into town and
setting up shop to screen some films.  At some point
there would be posting to our newswire, asking for an
impromptu center panel, nevermind what our
overworked/committed collective may be up to.
     Contrare to the proposed tour, Chicago would be
happy to put folks up for the night, cook them food, help
locate the hot space to screen films, do outreach, and hey!
even screen some of our our Chicago Independent
Television episodes!  We would even be happy to pass the
hat to raise gas funds to send the group along to the next
city!  That, my friend, is grassroots Indymedia in action!

     There are other issues with this tour being funded as
proposed.  I think Deva outlines many of my concerns very
well.  I don't think he is espousing pie in the sky
philosophy.  I have met Deva and several other Portland
IMCistas on a pilgrimage I took a few years ago down the
west coast.  My experience there and in communities in
Mexico opened my eyes to the life instilling power of
radical grassroots community.  This is in opposition to
moneyed liberalism.

     John, and others with the project have pointed out that
no one can 'really' stop this tour from happening.  I find
this denial of responsibility to Indymedia community to be
hurtful. An abdomination to the Points of Unity.
     I would block our own Chicago collective from
supporting the Newsreal tour when it came into our little
town.  I would do so on the grounds that it is a violation
of Points of Unity and the general health of Indymedia.
     Just as we resisted the efforts to seek funding from the
Ford Foundation, and the Soros Grants, we continue
resisting the corporatizing co-option that these liberal
attempts do to our radical, grassroots Indymedia culture.

Thank you for listening to me,

solidaritat,
Garth Liebhaber
Chicago IMC
speaking for self,
reflecting group sentiment.

Hi Blank.

I hear that you think what is going on with the IMC tour
project is
extremely wrong.  I honestly don't know enough about it
to have an opinion,
but I'm certainly going to try and learn more about the
work.

The reason I suggested some open dialogue is because,
for good or bad, we
don't have mechanisms of coercive authority in the
Indymedia network.  No
matter how angry or frustrated folks are that an action
may be wrong,
there's very little that can be done to force a group of IMC
folks to do
things one way or the other.  That usually takes
persuasion, and my take is
that people aren't always very persuaded when they're
being attacked.

Again, curious to hear more folks' thoughts on this.

John