[IMC-US] turtle.indymedia.org

bradley at riseup.net bradley at riseup.net
Mon Jun 21 20:39:13 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I wish i could have made it to AMC. Thanks for sending out notes about the
indymedia caucus. I'm Bradley, a volunteer with santa cruz indymedia. I'm
going to respond to one of bht's emails below, and then add my comments
about code-base, focus, and hate speech / trolling.

> the native americans referred to america as "turtle island".  While it is
> comfusing to call it turtle island imc, that could be gotten around and it
> is a good way to alleviate the concerns of validating the united states.
>
> in the banner, it could say "turtle island imc" and below it faded could
> say something like "a syndication site for united states imc's"

Turtle Island Indymedia sounds great to me!
(Let's payback Josh for indymedia.us)

Let's use turtle.indymedia.org!

I think we should also get turtleisland.indymedia.org

There is already a site called Turtle Island Native Network with the URL
turtleisland.org, which is fine with with me ( ;

> Furthermore, I personally feel that the newswire should be syndication
> only, when people push the "publish" button it should take them to a page
> with local imcs and have a note for them to pich the closest imc to them
> geographically.

I support that idea very much!

> As far as an editorial team and feature writers, I think that should be
> very organic.  Many local imc's currently have in place an editorial team
> that writes features for their local and just making them features on
> turtle island imc saves work time and promotes local work.  But, there
> will still be times when it would be good to collaborate and make specific
> features so I wouldnt want to make any policy saying one way or the other.

I agree here too.

> I think that is all I have for now.
> bht
> portland

I've been using the editorial features of DadaIMC since Santa Cruz made
the switch from Active to DadaIMC (at least a year ago...) I used Mir's
editorial features while working on FTAAimc.org. Both interfaces are very
nice, and each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Furthermore,
SF-Active certainly has some great features as well, like Indybay's topic
pages and calendar interface! (I can go on about my feelings at some
point...) Overall though, I feel that turtle island indymedia would run
the smoothest on Mir!

Again, I can go into details later, but one really nice aspect of Mir is
the ease of communication between the editorial collective. Mir has a
built in message board for communication within the interface and there is
a place to leave editorial comments within each individual article!

I liked bht's idea to have a focus on anti-racism as well as
political-prisoners, but I feel that the work of Critical Resistance is
very important. CR sees ALL prisoners as political-prisoners, and
therefore does not distinguish between 'political-prisoners' and
'non-political-prisoners' or 'regular prisoners.' for more on that, check
criticalresistance.org and
http://santacruz.indymedia.org/newswire/display/8629/index.php

And, I agree with bht about feeding the trolls and I don't like doing it.
Trolls are annoying and i support a publishing policy against abuse.
Several abuses have been meantioned already, and I would definately add
'publishing fake articles' as one of the abuses. I can say more, but I
don't like feeding the trolls. A specific forum for talking about trolls
is a good idea given the reality of the situation, but if the trolls are
able to troll through the forum, then that forum may work to our
disadvantage....

sincerely,
Bradley