[IMC-US] has everyone just gone up and left?

bht bht at indymedia.org
Mon Nov 15 16:05:28 CST 2004

So, now that we have this "us.indymedia" site, and we have a roughshop way
of using it, I think there are af ew steps we need to take to keep it
working.

1.  we need to get more local imc's syndicated and get at least one person
access to the admin.

more info:  If you have any bit of tech knowledge of rss feeds and the
like, and you have a bit of time that you could set aside for outreach,
perhaps you can contact local imcs that are having trouble with
syndication and get them syndicated.  why do we need at least one person
from each local?  becasue it has come up a few times already of updating
features in accordance with what the local imc does, and i am not wholly
keen on messing with features from an imc other that portland because that
is the imc i volunteer with.  so if we had at least one person from each
local, then they could update their posts as necessary.

2.  we should try to focus our feature making so it is less broad,
especially from imcs that are making the same features and then they dump
on the syndicated wire with a bunch of the basic same feature.  that looks
bad, i think.  perhaps we can focus more on regional/local stuff to our
respective indymedia.  I know that is tough and not something tha tis
entirely likely.  but perhaps mostly just making sure that what is being
featured isnt some article that is spammed to every local imc on the
network.

3.  i would like to see more people actively promoting articles,
especially articles that dont originate from your local imc.  it would be
nice to see a new promoted article each day and try to vary the imc it
comes from.  and that isnt so easy because we also want things that arent
so local that no one else would understand, but local enough to where
there arent ten other imcs picking up on it.

I am unsure of how much sense this all makes, but now that we have this
figurhead of an imc that is a network of many local us imcs, we should
also start to think about working in a networked fashion.

Those are ust my personal suggestions for making this site useful.
Perhaps other folks have some as well and we can begin to form some
agreements and tasks from the visions that are common?
bht
portland

bht at indymedia.org