[IMC-US] PROPOSED: The Day After - People take to the streets - DRAFT #1

Tribal Scribal valeoftheoaks at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 30 21:02:51 CDT 2004

OK, disclaimer first: I'm one of the primary organizers of the Peoples
Pledge of Resistance included below. However, given that advocacy journalism
is practiced here....

Next: is the ucimc editorial address above our real US editorial address?

d.o.

******************
Header: Nationwide

Title:  Nov.3, The Day After - People take to the streets

photo: http://wmass.indymedia.org/media/legislation/display/1368/index.php

text:

Across the nation, activist groups are mobilizing in the likely event of a
tainted presidential election. Whether they are coalitions, de-centralized
multiple actions, or <a
href="http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display/128931/index.php">local
events</a> unrelated to larger organizations, all are in preparation for a
potential repeat of the Election 2000 fiasco or worse. Working through
coordinated efforts or alone, countless numbers of people in the U.S. can
see the writing on the wall. Many believe that the Orwellian-titled "Help
America Vote Act" , ostensibly passed to overcome the problems in 2000, is
really a <a
href="http://santacruz.indymedia.org/otherpress/display/166/index.php">civil
rights time-bomb</a>. Already reports have surfaced about <a
href="http://cleveland.indymedia.org/news/2004/10/12980.php">vote fraud</a>
and <a
href="http://www.indybay.org/archives/archive_by_id.php?id=2561&category_id=45">ballot
access</a> denial. <p>

The groups presently mobilizing have somewhat varying positions on what
should initiate action. For instance,  <a
href="http://www.beyondvoting.org/">Beyond Voting</a> states:
"Beyond Voting and <a href="http://www.ttww.org/watch/index.shtml">This Time
We’re Watching</a>... are training voters across the country in direct
action techniques and issuing a joint call for a day of action on November
3,..in the event of massive voting rights violations, postponement of the
election, and/or disputes over the legitimate winner of the presidential
election, these projects will respond with nationwide direct action;
whatever happens, they will act to hold the winner accountable to principles
of peace & justice."  The <a
href="http://unitedforpeace.org/petition/index.php?id=7">No Stolen Election
pledge</a> associated with United for Peace and Justice, states:
"Nov 3 - The Day After: Local groups and organizers are encouraged to plan
and publicize their activities in case there is a need for protests the day
after the election. If there is a clear indication of fraud, malfeasance or
some other problem it will be communicated as quickly as possible through
the Urgent Response Network."  A much smaller, more de-centralized pledge
campaign, <a
href="http://wmass.indymedia.org/feature/display/3643/index.php">The Peoples
Pledge of Resistance</a> states: "We ask you to organize local protests for
November 3, 2004, in the event of a Bush victory, real or in question, and
to join with communities across our nation in continuous resistance.  As an
individual, or as part of a national effort, resistance could include, but
not be limited to: Public refusal to recognize George W. Bush as President
of the United States and the public denouncement of his actions."  <p>

Regardless of affiliation, activists and citizens who may never have been
really active before, are likely to be filling the streets in vast numbers
during the days following Election Day.

Your action here:

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as
necessary in the political world as storms in the physical world."

- Thomas Jefferson
more rebellion here:
http://concertobi.blogspot.com/