[Fwd: Re: [IMC-US] feature wire balance]

john duda john at manifestor.org
Sun Oct 31 15:53:37 CST 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 09:42:59PM -0700, mark burdett wrote:
> why is the list for us.indy on "groogroo.com"?  can someone request a
> list on lists.indy?
>
> indybay editors often first publish a feature to one of the site's
> subcategories, then it is copied (and often shortened) for the front
> page.  these are actually two different entities thus they are both
> syndicated.  i would suggest that us.indy receive only the front page
> features.  there will thus be no duplication, although some stories and
> updates will be missed.  here's the url:
> http://www.indybay.org/syn/production_features_long.rdf

can you list this in the contact db instead of the indybay feed that's
currently there?  indymedia.us is pulling feeds locations from there....

> one thing i've noticed is that us.indy takes the first version of each
> feature it finds but never updates it.  to me it would be very useful
> if us.indy could refresh the feeds already in its database with any
> corrections or updates which are syndicated.  this includes spelling,
> grammar and also html typos which may have been fixed..

this would be possible, but things would get weird if we made changes
to an automatically imported article as well....i suppose the best
thing would be some sort of diff operation, but it will take me a
while to get around to implementing it....it's a good idea though.

john