[IMC-US] the future of the no $ proposal

nick sarsnic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 23:42:19 CST 2005

There has been a fair amount of off-list conversation about my
proposing the Houston no $ proposal to this group, and I just wanted
to clarify for everyone some of the things I have been clarifying
individually to people.

- I intended this proposal to refer to our participation in the US-IMC
collective itself, not our participation in individual US collectives,
some of which already have different guidelines.

- I am not interested in passing judgement on the way other
collectives decide to run themselves, but I do feel like we should
have an open discussion about best practices.  We should foster
constructive respectful debate instead of avoiding it.

-  We should encourage each other to raise essential questions about
our network, seeking to avoid taking them personally or as an attack.

- Although I personally have decided not to work in indymedia
collectives with paid members, and although I think payment of members
of indymedia collective members is a mistake, I will not disrespect
the work of such collectives, or criticize them to outside groups,
organizations or media.

- I hope we can spend some time on this at indyconference, but I don't
want to spend tons of time on it, there are lots of other things for
us to discuss.

Peace,
Nick