[IMC-US] the future of the no $ proposal

Joshua Breitbart breitbart at indymedia.org
Tue Feb 8 08:51:45 CST 2005

I'm just going to reiterate my earlier objection that the arguments
in favor of this proposal have been based on rhetoric rather than
principle. Of course the NYC IMC is going to find it inflammatory
when you say things like "Payment creates hierarchies."

The NYC IMC stands for all of the principles articulated in the
proposal as reasons for being all volunteer - flattening hierarchy,
encouraging new volunteers, sharing responsibility, building
collective processes, not being a typical NGO. It is offensive and
divisive to suggest that we don't.

We have decided that the best way for our collective to adhere to
those principles and to achieve those goals - along with others like
accountability, consistency, and making useful media - is to
compensate a couple of people for some specific tasks. From another
perspective in another city with other people, you might think that's
the wrong choice. But if you have faith in us as your partners in
Indymedia, you should respect the actions that we believe are
appropriate to our local conditions.

The only thing in the proposal I would say the NYC IMC disagrees with
is that being all volunteer is "in keeping with the original purpose
and roots of IMC." A lot of those people getting that footage of
rubber bullets in the streets of Seattle or organizing the first
Independent Media Center were paid employees of media organizations.
And at the meeting in San Francisco in April 2001 that introduced the
Principles of Unity, the question of paying people was specifically
left to individual IMCs to decide.

Like NIck, I am looking forward to discussions of best practices in
Austin. But I hope it goes a lot deeper than "don't pay anyone" (or
"pay someone"), which, when you take out the principles that we all
agree on, is all that this proposal amounts to.

Josh