[IMC-US] [chewy@redbrick.dcu.ie: [Imc-ireland-editorial] Can Shannon Airport be Transformed into a Sanctuary for War Resisters?]

Paul Cummins chewy at redbrick.dcu.ie
Wed Feb 9 21:03:04 CST 2005

hi there from indymedia Ireland

I sent the story below to global for feature proposal but we we're
hoping to get some coverage in America. I don't want to just it all on
an american site cos i dont't want to spam (our indy doens't allow
post crosspostedon more then 3 indy's) but I mght later...

if you any advice of how to spreading this story in America please do...

pc

A  Different Kind Of 'Route Irish'
Can Shannon Airport be Transformed into a Sanctuary for War Resisters?

http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=68544 on our front page at
the moment...

see also audio of invitation here
http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=68482

I was looking for similar recent indy features on on Asylum request in
Canada but couldn't find any. Imagine US troop requesting ayslum from
the Irish gov, it unprecedented but with 158,000 going through last year
it could happen.

for front page text

In 2004 more than 158,000 US Troops flew through Shannon Airport, most
on their way to Iraq.

During much of that same period of time approximately 5,500 US Troops
have deserted, gone into

hiding, sent to jail and some have escaped to Canada.

What if the funnel to Iraq, called Shannon Airport, were to be
transformed into a sanctuary

for US Troops resisting the Iraq War by requesting asylum in Ireland?

The refueling of USAF military planes has taken place in Shannon for
over 30 but has caused renewed contraversy in 2001 with the Bush
aggresive 'war on terror'. USAF planes share runways with commerical
airlines and some of the 1,000 soldiers a day mingle in the airport
terminal with international passengers using the Shannon stopover. (link
http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=68357)

This is the new effort by the Dublin Catholic Worker and other anti-war
activists and

politicians announced in Dublin on Feb 3rd - the second anniversary of
the Pit Stop

Ploughshares disarmament of a US Navy Plane at Shannon.

links:

The 'Route Irish' to Sanctuary Project: Webpage
Harry Browne writes: 'Don't Get Back on that Plane' Soldiers: Seek
Asylum in Ireland - CounterPunch.org
CBS News: ''The Pentagon says more than 5,500 servicemen have deserted
since the war started  in Iraq.'' (Dec. 8, 2004)
Frida Berrigan writes: 'Meet the New Conscientious Objectors' - Voices
In The Wilderness

and accompaning picture as is, who's original is at
http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=68357&comment_id=98817&results_offset=210

thanks for previously responding to my request to put up a feature
at the Torture Jets stopping at  Shannon http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=67865

Im not on the wwwfeature list so cc me the discussion on this.

ps If you any other ideas about how to spread this story (without
spamming) please help.

Paul C(1 of imc.ie)

--
I truly wish I could be a great surgeon or philosopher or author or
anything constructive, but in all honesty I'd rather turn up my

----- End forwarded message -----