[IMC-US] letter to yes magazine

Michael Medow mmedow at umich.edu
Sat Feb 26 17:14:51 CST 2005

hmm... this letter seems a bit arrogant to me. Are you sure that
Indymedia is "the most accessible and usable tool for media democracy
worldwide?"  That's a claim that I think you'd be hard pressed to back
up. Especially considering that the vast majority of those oppressed by
imperialism probably don't have internet access. Despite that lack of
access however, those with less material wealth and political power
sustain and build community resistance through radio, print projects,
theatre, music, graffiti and other grassroots media tools and tactics,
the vast majority of which are not IMC-affiliated.

I don't mean to hate. Its just that this letter, while well
intentioned, reflects an arrogance that I hear coming from a lot of IMC
folks. We're doing some good work, but so are lots and lots of media
activists not affiliated with IMC. We can get excited about our work,
but lets not assume that we are the revolution or something.

time for a shot of humility juice.
mike
/michigan IMC