[IMC-US] All volunteer proposal / Indymedia Conf. in Austin in relation to this site

Chris Anderson chanders_imc at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 14:36:15 CST 2005

Hi everyone,

[I started this email before I saw Josh's response. We
echo some of the same thoughts but I figured I'd still
send my email anyway)

As a true despiser of irc chats (but one who
aknowledges that there's usually no other way to get
things done at a distance) I'd also encourage folks
who will be in Austin next month to think about ways
that we can productively address site issues there. We
should have a clear list about what we want to discuss
in Austin, as well as a plan for moving forward /
resolving other issues before then, too.

I have mixed feelings about the all-volunteer
proposal. I think its fine for this site, the way it
is currently envisioned, and would support such a
proposal for IMC-US. I have concerns, however, about
the proposal in a general sense, as well as the manner
in which it has been presented to various IMC's. I
also think that Indymedia "didn't really emerge out of
the mouth of Marcos" (like Athena out of the head of
Zeus) but rather emerges out of the hard work of a lot
of different people. Which is probably a larger
discussion that's better to have in person :)

chris