[IMC-US] Re: re-invigoration

Chris Anderson chanders_imc at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 19:45:31 CST 2005

This is somewhat of a tangential reply to bht ... but
I do feel that the IMC-US site will really pick up (a
lot) after the Indy conference in February. Not that
anyone should "wait" to work on the site til then ...
but as a halfhearted tech-enthusiast, I often find
that internet projects never really get rolling until
there are in person meetings to give them a kick.

A few researchers have accumulated  a lot of evidence
of this; internet communities are possible, but not
without occasional real-world interaction, especially
at the begining.  It seems to me that this is
especially true of imc-us ... it has taken in person
meetings every time the site was ready to jump to the
next level. But the good news is that once the next
level is reached it usually can keep up at that level
til the next meeting.

I think its important that more people become involved
in admining the imc-us site, speaking as someone who
doesn't :) Bht is right, this project needs more
participation to grow. As of now, the newswire is
incredible, the center column, less so.

Finally, an excellent job done by all imcs in
inauguration coverage, from someone who (finally!) got
to be an imc news consumer rather than participant /
facilitator. Especially by Portland- i had on pdx
radio for a good part of thursday. y'all rock.

peace,
chris