[IMC-US] admins of the us imc site/frustrations/concerns all admins

max max at michiganimc.org
Sun Jan 23 14:48:34 CST 2005

hey bht-

I and I hope everybody on this list appreciates all the work you have been doing
for the us-imc.  I know that I have felt similar frustration to what you
described, being stuck doing a lot of work for a project that I feel is
important but for some reason, other people don't want to get involved.
sometimes those projects fall apart, other times they seem like they're about
to and then something happens and everyone gets excited about it again.  I
think indy web-based projects face a particularly difficult set of challenges
as chris described.

based on those stats that john sent out though, it seems like us-imc is a
project worth continuing in one form or another.  I have a lot of ideas about
this project, how to make it better, some of the concrete problems that I think
are going to be difficult to surmount, etc.- probably a lot of us are thinking
about this as well.  I think that this project needs a re-visioning of who is
involved and how people get involved.  I think we need to think more about what
voices we are amplifying, and whether we are missing some important and
underrepresented voices.  how decisions are made and who is making decisions,
etc.

one specific problem with this project is that as of right now, the ONLY way
that people can be involved is to do web editorial stuff for the website.  this
is inherently limiting. in my experience this is the kind of work that is hard
for many people to get involved with and feel a part of, and feel ownership
over.  I know that many local IMCs have lots of people involved, but the web
editorial stuff is done by only a couple of folks out of a much larger group.

I think we should set aside a good amount of time at the upcoming conference to
talk about this in person- it seems like others feel this way too.

would people like to use this list to begin figuring out how/what we want to
talk about at this conference?

max