[IMC-US] involving the non wired in indy.us

john duda john at manifestor.org
Wed Jan 26 13:19:55 CST 2005

I was thinking about indymedia.us and how, as people have mentioned,
participation is limited at the moment to people who have the time and
resources to be online constantly and working on the editorial
process.

a couple of ideas for new ways of participation that might be worth
kicking around, refining, or replacing, and proposing at the
indyconference:

1) inviting people who are committing lots of time to campaigns or
   mobilizations of national interest to write about what they are
   doing and their experiences....kind of like incorporating a
   blogging aspect with more personal reports into the feature
   process.

2) inviting all the local indymedias to write a feature about the
   their city/region, but one aimed at people who don't live there and
   aren't familiar with the local situation.  for example, we could
   ask imc's to write about poverty and the economic situation in
   their city, or the current level and history of police/legal
   repression, or the state of activism or independent media....
   these could be long term pieces that we feature as we get them....

3) a national print publication...i'm thinking here of things like
   "schnews" in the uk or "ravage" in holland, where the bulk of the
   content is a monthly compilation of action reports...we could do
   something like compile the month's protests and actions from around
   the country, produce a low production value pdf, and get local
   imc's to print, photocopy, and distribute....

just some thoughts, i'm sure other people have other ideas, it would
be interesting to hear them.  my major concern is finding ways to make
imc-us less of just a syndication site and more of a productive
network....

john

--

this is where my public key can be found:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 03817826