[IMC-US] Va. Military Institute story, but Richmond site down

muna rva imc muna at richmondindymedia.org
Sat Jan 29 18:01:58 CST 2005

I really wasn't sure how to summarize this in an email title, and perhaps I
should've brought this story to US's attention earlier, but... Why don't I just
start from the beginning...

So about a week about a Richmond Indymedia user posted photos of cadets at the
Virginia Military Institute wearing extremely offensive Halloween costumes --
some dressed up as Nazis and donned blackface back on Oct. 2004.

Well, the story's hit big. There's almost 200 comments on it (about 180 more
than normal), plus it got picked up by regional, and now national papers and tv
stations.

But the high traffic has killed our site. Odds are none of you will be able to
access richmond.indymedia.org to actually see our story. That's what I've been
trying to deal with the past few days, unsuccessfully.

RVA IMC is still not syndicated, so US IMC of course did not pick it up. I wish
it did, or could, so all these anxious public folks could at least see some
semblence of this story on Indymedia somewhere.

Given the tech problems, I really have no idea how to get this story to you. The
story really is in the comments thread.

But I figure it's worth mentioning.

Anyway, here are some shitty corporate links to follow our scoop. Oh how low I'm
forced to sink. The first one from the regional Roanoke Times is almost all from
our site, and I've included it at the end of this email in its entirity.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45703-2005Jan28.html?sub=new

http://times-dispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031780524156&path=%21news&s=1045855934842

And, of course, just in case ya wanna try:

http://richmond.indymedia.org/feature/display/9193/index.php

X,
Muna

----- Forwarded message from muna rva imc <muna at richmondindymedia.org> -----