[IMC-US] Collaboration: Walmart

Tarik Abdelazim modocpress at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 00:48:06 CDT 2005

Hello, friends. Yeah, Im pushing this theme. For good
reason.

Check out:

http://www.walmartmovie.com/wednesday.php?track=now

Greenwald, who produced Outfoxxed, is producing this
film under BravenewFilm. Check out sponsors of this
film. Certainly won't see any other media org, so I
thought it'd be great if Indymedia showed solidarity.
Not with an official sponsor, but with a collaborative
journalism piece instead. In other words, contributing
how we know best.

See, BravenewFilm is asking for video footage and
photographs of communities impacted by Walmart. Our
movement is positioned perfectly to assist with the
content. And if not with this film, then with future
productions of BravenewFilms perhaps.

But aside from the actual imagery (video and photo)
many IMCists might pass along, we could also provide a
national print (online) journalistic piece to
complement the Uncover Walmart's Injustices Campaign.
Which is why I'm pushing hard for Walmart to be the
first theme for our Collaboration project. If we were
to issue a call by the end of July, we might spur some
local photo or video journalists to pass some
compelling footage to the project. And then we could
set a September deadline for the publication of print
project.

All this is contestable and in need of group
discussion, but I just wanted to outline the growing
campaign against Walmart, and how Indymedia could gain
a good deal of readership and merit if we were to
focus our innovative, independent media creation
community on this topic.

Peace, in solidarity,

tarik abdelazim
binghamton-imc