[IMC-US] paid and volunteer IMC staff:

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Mon Mar 14 09:31:41 CST 2005

Hi all,

I want to second Josh's take on this.  I've stayed rather quiet on this
topic, but thought I should weigh in.

The defining characteristics behind Indymedia are our committment to
social and economic justice, our focus on featuring and amplifying the
voices of the disenfranchised and marginalized, and our solidarity with
peoples and constituencies who are our allies.  Not our attention to money
and pay.

We are an incredibly diverse network of networks.  I applaud the work of
all IMC volunteers; however, some people are not privileged to be able to
work for free.  I think it is short-sighted to further stigmatize the
working poor -- and that some of the proposals that Nick is forwarding
reinforce, rather than break down, a classist mentality.

In essence, IMC's that announce they are "all volunteer" are saying "we're
rich enough to not have to worry about money" -- and meanwhile, other
Indymedia activists are made to feel somehow less worthy because they need
to accept payment for their work.  I really don't see the benefit of this
sort of statment to the Indymedia Network as a whole.  I do not think it
forwards our goals of inclusion and diversity to alienate the less
prosperous by rubbing their faces in our own affluence.

--Sascha

**