[IMC-US] paid and volunteer IMC staff:

nick sarsnic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 13:28:02 CST 2005

Sascha,

>I do not think it forwards our goals of inclusion and diversity to
alienate the less prosperous by rubbing their faces in our own
affluence.

I think it is possible that IMCs in countries with incredibly high
unemployment rates and even more lethal forms of poverty have
nonetheless chosen to remain all-volunteer.  Such a survey (and as I
said all along, I want feedback about how to ask the most helpful
questions) could give insight as to how such choices were made.

You might be right, that we have here a situation with those that are
affluent running the faces of the less affluent in something, but it
also well might be that it is only the IMCs in the relatively affluent
US which are open to the ideas of having IMCistas as paid employees.
I think we are both approaching this question out of concerns about
those with less resources from ourselves, which is exactly why we need
to get more information and feedback before speaking on behalf of
those with less resources.  And if it is true that all or almost all
of the IMCs in the countries which have the most severe forms of
suffering and poverty have nonetheless committed themselves to
remaining all-volunteer, it is something about which we in the USIMC
need to be aware, and to consider in deciding the simple question of
whether we want to declare ourselves an all-volunteer collective.

Peace
Nick

peace,
Nick