[IMC-US] paid and volunteer IMC staff:

deva drdartist at riseup.net
Sat Mar 19 10:53:10 CST 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 7:31 AM, Sascha Meinrath wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to second Josh's take on this.  I've stayed rather quiet on
> this topic, but thought I should weigh in.
>
> The defining characteristics behind Indymedia are our committment to
> social and economic justice, our focus on featuring and amplifying the
> voices of the disenfranchised and marginalized, and our solidarity
> with peoples and constituencies who are our allies.  Not our attention
> to money and pay.
>
> We are an incredibly diverse network of networks.  I applaud the work
> of all IMC volunteers; however, some people are not privileged to be
> able to work for free.  I think it is short-sighted to further
> stigmatize the working poor -- and that some of the proposals that
> Nick is forwarding reinforce, rather than break down, a classist
> mentality.

this is a completely false argument... actually rather Orwellian...

First, let me say, I do not think there should be a network wide
mandate to make all imc's all volunteer. Portland has added to its own
POU that it is all volunteer. I am happy to see any local imc make that
choice (started by Houston), but not to see an effort to impose that.
Local imc's are autonomous and it is vital they remain so.

If a local imc wants to declare itself a paid organization and develop
a structure that pays all contributing individuals commensurate with
their work, let them try. It will be an interesting experiment. So far,
I do not see this happening. What I see are a few specific people
getting paid, which is creating a divide of some who get paid and
others who do not. A class structure in its infancy.

> In essence, IMC's that announce they are "all volunteer" are saying
> "we're rich enough to not have to worry about money"

what an insulting statement... you know nothing about the financial
state of the people taking these decisions, but arrogantly exclaim that
they must be rich enough in order to say it

too disgusted to say anything else right now...
deva