[IMC-US] PROPOSAL: Day Eight of Georgetown Hunger Strike For a Living Wage

bht bht at indymedia.org
Tue Mar 22 11:42:47 CST 2005

hi, i just got off the phone with someone in dc, and put together this
feature...would like to post it sooner rather than later, since it is
going on today :-)  if youhave more or it needs more, feel free.
bht
portland imc volunteer
ps.  to us imc folks, this is a proposal for global imc.  i am cc-ing
the us imc list in case folks have additions.  for us imc, we should
probably use one of the dc features.

TITLE:  Day Eight of Georgetown Hunger Strike For a Living Wage
SUB:  <a href="http://us.indymedia.org">US</a>:  <a
href="http://dc.indymedia.org">Washington DC</a>
IMAGE:  one of these:  http://www.davidswanson.org/photos/gtown/index.htm

In <a href="http://dc.indymedia.org">Washington D.C.</a> twenty-two
college students from Georgetown University have gone on a hunger strike
to demand <a
href="http://www.dcist.com/archives/2005/03/15/georgetown_living_wage_activists_launch_hunger_strike.php">a
living wage for all workers</a>.  The hunger strike has carried on into
its eighth day today and enjoys support from the <a
href="http://www.aflcio.org/mediacenter/prsptm/pr03172005a.cfm">AFL-CIO</a>,
they are also getting support from students around the <a
href="http://us.indymedia.org">nation</a> including the Georgetown
University Social Democrats who are fasting for 24 hours in solidarity
with hunger strikers; and students of Swarthmore College who will engage
in a 48-hour solidarity fast.
The AFL-CIO boldy stated, "We stand firmly in support of these brave
Georgetown student hunger strikers who inspire all of us in the fight to
create good jobs that lift working people from poverty."  Currently,
subcontracted workers at Georgetown are paid a minimum of $8.50 per
hour, and unionized workers are paid $12.00 per hour.  The hunger
striking students are demanding, on behalf of the workers, a living wage
of $14.93 per hour in total compensation, including any benefits.  These
rates of pay do not approach a tenth of the wage that the Georgetown
President receives.
In the eight days that the hunger strike has been happening, the <a
href="http://www.davidswanson.org/photos/gtown/pages/three_jpg.htm">strikers</a>
have collectively lost 223 pounds from their bodies.
<b>more information:</b>  <a
href="http://studentorgs.georgetown.edu/solidarity/lw/">Georgetown
Living Wage Coalition</a>  I  <a
href="http://www.davidswanson.org/photos/gtown/">Photos</a>  I  <a
href="http://dc.indymedia.org/feature/display/119727/index.php"> Hunger
Striking at Georgetown: What Workers and Students Say</a>  I  <a
href="http://dc.indymedia.org/feature/display/119645/index.php">
Georgetown Living Wage Hunger Strike - Day 4</a>  I  <a
href="http://dc.indymedia.org/">DC IMC</a>