[IMC-US] using other feeds/other independent media on imc-us

sheri at speakeasy.org sheri at speakeasy.net
Fri May 13 13:56:24 CDT 2005

hi,

see below for the selves/others digest i just got - it inspired me to send it here cause i think it would be cool to include it somehow in our site.  a place for the work of allies and other good independent media.

perhaps we can create a place/space for highlighting the good work of other independent media (i mean we are in a larger network) and this would be one way of (1) supporting the work of our allies (2) highlighting important stories that we're not covering (3) broadening the network and (4) i'm sure other good reasons.

i believe it comes down to what is the vision for the site and what we consider our role to be.  i think indymedia tends toward a kind of separatism that i think can be harmful to the movement and to our work.  if you don't know what i mean, i'm happy to elaborate but i'll just leave it at that for the moment. i'm just being honest and having reflected on our evolution over the past 5 years, and trying to be an observer and not just an insider intimately engaged, i think that what i'm saying is NOT bogus or false.  and maybe sometimes separatism  is necesary and a good thing, but how we collaborate with others who are in the "ever expanding field of independent media" is i believe somehow a key to changing how people think and that is how social change really happens.

i'm just hoping for some healthy dialogue about the idea :))

love
sheri