[IMC-US] NCMR reportback

onto onto at riseup.net
Thu May 19 20:07:58 CDT 2005

Carly's photos:
http://sandiego.indymedia.org/en/2005/05/108954.shtml

Again, muchas gracias for sharing the experiences and stories of this
conference. For those of us who weren't there, it really helps us to
hear the critiques, the meetings, the actions, the people and the process.

Without taking this of track, I want to share with the imc-us crew this
piece that was written after the Media EmergenC conference in San Diego
last October. Members from San Diego Indymedia, radioActive sanDiego,
and the Prometheus Radio Project helped write it.

"Towards a Critical Analysis of Media EmergenC"
http://sandiego.indymedia.org/en/2005/02/107671.shtml

What we (inconclusively) concluded was that all the faults that everyone
is mentioning about the NCMR are also possible at an Indymedia
conference. Although there can be radical counter-hegemonic content at a
conference, the FORM of the conference itself can be alienating, i.e,
Speakers vs. Audience, Organizers vs. Organized,
Experienced/Wise/Teachers vs. Ignorant/Common/Students. To really
challenge the big picture (i.e., to do media justice), new forms of
knowledge sharing, interacting, meeting, and conferencing are needed. Or
perhaps there are indigenous forms of conferencing that we can learn
from . . .

Also, there was the problem of 'attracting outsiders' by bringing in big
names (ie, liberals) at the expense of having a smaller conference with
more grassroots presentations.

Also, race, gender and class can be emphasized in the content of a
conference while still avoiding and alienating those communities (locally).

That all said, it still rocked.

thanks again,
onto

http://sandiego.indymedia.org