[Imc] Re: Springfield IMC? (fwd)

Molly Stentz molly at clamcenter.org
Mon Dec 4 17:09:04 UTC 2000

News from Springfield...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 18:10:29 -0600
From: blowingthewhistle <blowingthewhistle at blowingthewhistle.org>
To: Molly Stentz <molly at clam.clamcenter.org>
Subject: Re: Springfield IMC?

Great to hear from you!  Yes there seems to be interest in Springfield
for an imc!  Blowing The Whistle had about 25 people come to the
screening at Lincoln Library last night and they really enjoyed "This Is
What Democracy Looks Like."  That is actually a really good turnout for
Springfield - I was especially pleased with the number of new faces I saw
there. The people seemed very interested in an imc.

We have a second screening planned at the Heartland Peace Center in
Springfield on Monday and tonight I am showing it at the Decatur Public
Library.

Blowing The Whistle has been doing a video series at Lincoln Library for
a few months and this screening fit in just perfectly especially since we
are one of the groups that is working toward an imc.  Almost everyone
there filled out contact info too so the mailing list is growing :)

I just purchased the domain name www.springfieldimc.org as a present to
the cause so that we can keep the world updated about our activities
around forming an imc.  There are several groups and numerous individuals
who want to be involved with an imc.  However, I am waiting to hook it up
until I can meet with other groups so they can all have input on website
content. Of course, then I will want to train others on how to update the
website.

Some of the people who want to be involved in a Springfield imc are very
community radio and have a vision of an imc as housing a community radio
station.  Others are more print and pre-produced media focused.  I am in
the group that is more interested in video production and presentation
and in web development.  Right now we are without a physical location and
are just working on forming - unfortunately, there is some clashing
between some individuals that is going to have to be overcome.  These are
the very early stages of coming together under the umbrella of an imc and
I am sure it will come with its share of triumphs as well as challenges.

Personally, I love to shoot and edit video and it would be great to have
an imc house equipment which we could not only use to cover local issues
but could also be taken on the road to help other imcs with video
coverage of events.  Blowing The Whistle, the cable public access program
which I co-produce, focuses on local, national and global issues,
community activism, art and music which makes doing imc oriented
production a next logical step.  Also, we already do video presentations
which are very much in line with imc work and we produce a sporadic
newsletter of various under-reported and non-reported news stories.

Good luck with your low-watt fm application.  Unfortunately, the
Springfield community radio group chose not to file.  Personally I helped
some Decatur area groups with their applications.  Do you suppose anyone
around here will ever see a license?  I hope so.

I (and I am sure everyone else) certainly hope we can collaborate on some
projects. I do have access to assorted video equipment and to others with
video experience if that can ever be of assistance.  Of course we all
have various talents so if you ever need anything - let us know.  There
may be someone who can help.  I will let you know when our website is
hooked up and you should do the same.

I will share your greetings with others here in Springfield - thanks for
getting in touch!

Well, it is off to the library for tonight's screening.....

Lisa Hensley
Co-Producer
Blowing The Whistle