[Imc] consume.net

David Young dyoung at clam.clamcenter.org
Mon Dec 11 04:42:58 UTC 2000

I'm really excited about the prospect of grassroots Internet. I think
that the time is right for interested people in Champaign-Urbana to start
planning for it, to start experimenting, to start watching innovation in
wireless equipment as it relates to grassroots Internet, and to start
negotiating with the owners of high spots in town for places to put
antennae---before ISPs buy up all the high places.

Grassroots wireless for C-U probably deserves its own organization.
There will definitely be an affinity between a grassroots wireless group
and the IMC, because of the social content (so to speak) of what both
organizations do, but a grassroots wireless group is going to be so
preoccupied with building antennas, weatherizing outdoor computers,
and writing software, that I think it will dilute the IMC for it to
contain a wireless group.

So, anyway, I am excited about grassroots wireless and I'm interested
in experimenting with and philosophizing about grassroots wireless
with others.

Dave