[Imc] mas equippage

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 18 03:48:21 UTC 2000

For outright donation to IMC:

2 cassette decks in working condition, good for duplication or listening
1 new Nady XLR microphone (Shure SM-57 knockoff).
1 recording cassette walkman, good for reporting
1 working VHS VCR

Suggestion:
Ask around to your friends and family to see if anyone has WORKING
equipment like the following sitting around in a closet or garage unused:
Speakers
cassette decks
receivers / amplifiers
CD players
camcorders
VHS VCRs

On all counts we want to avoid combination systems, mini-systems,
all-in-one units and TV/VCRs since they are almost always of low quality
and close to impossible to repair easily.

While probably not suitable for most production ('cept maybe the
camcorders), all of the above can be put to use in duplicating and
listening/viewing stations.  This kind of stuff suffers a lot of use and
abuse, so I tend not to prefer using new equipment, instead letting old
equipment live out the remainder of its useful life in this function.

Please double-check that equipment is working and useable (useable does not
mean you have to thump it with your hand or wiggle the controls to make it
work), since we don't want to turn into a dead electronics
graveyard.  Also, equipment that is no more than 10-15 yrs old is
preferred.  70s and early 80s vintage stuff is likely to be too worn out or
seized up due to non-use. Mid 80s to 90s stuff, if still working, should
still be good enough shape to be used and/or rehabed.

I think we should also put out a general call for donations on this stuff,
but we are more likely to get worn-out, broken and barely-usable items this
way.  So I'd like to see what we can gather up from family and friends first.

--Paul