[Imc] WILL & IMC

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at students.uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 4 00:10:35 UTC 2000

i think this would be an excellent idea!  especially for those video folks who
have been waiting in the wings...

--sascha

At 04:01 PM 11/03/00 Friday, Kimberlie Kranich wrote:
>Hi, all.
>
>For those on this list who don't know, I work at WILL and volunteer at WEFT.
>
>Today I had a hallway conversation with WILL AM580 program manager Jay Pearce
about a relationship with the IMC.  The conversation was precipitated by
WILL's
broadcasting of speeches by Buchanan and Nader (we were asked by the
candidates' spokesmen to air these speeches and we are legally obligated to do
so by the 'reasonable access law').  I told Jay that the Nader speech was
recorded by an IMC member. He had heard about the IMC but didn't know much
about it so I gave him a brief sketch.  Jay would like WILL to be more
pro-active in its coverage of third party candidates during the next major
elections in two years.  He suggested a possible show about third party
>candidates that might run weekly eight weeks prior to the elections.  But
WILL
doesn't have enough resources to do what we are currently doing and add
another
weekly program.  I suggested that folks at the IMC might be interested in
talking about helping fill the void and that you are highly qualified to do
so.  Jay's thoughts were very preliminary.  I made sure not to commit the IMC
to anything since I know the Center was primarily designed to feed WEFT and a
LPFM station Urbana.  But, after the elections are over, Jay would like to
have
some discussions with you about the possibility of some kind of
partnership.  I
told him I would give him your contact
>information.  Let me know your thoughts and who those contact people should
be.  I know Danielle is out of town and won't be able to comment for awhile.
There is no rush to act on this.  Just food for thought.