[Imc] Proposal for the IMC to produce WEFT shows

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at onthejob.net
Fri Nov 17 00:41:43 UTC 2000

Tonight I will presenting the following proposal to WEFT for the IMC to
cover 6 Monday shows starting 12/4 and skipping Xmas and New Years.

WEFT'S INVITATION:
------------------
If you'd like to propose an original program to fill one of the open
"Friday Forum" slots, please email your proposal to Kim Krannich.
Current open slots are (all are Mondays from 6-7pm):  11/20, 11/27, 12/4,
12/11, 12/25, 1/1, 1/8, 1/22, 1/29, 2/5.

IMC'S PROPOSAL:
-----------------
Danielle Chynoweth with the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center
344-0183 / 637-2018
I am host of RadioGirl, serve as an elected member of the AEC, and host
Mondays DemocracyNow! as a volunteer commitment.  In addition I regularly
sub for public affairs programs and, with the IMC, make content available
for a variety of WEFT shows.

News With Views

Dates: 12/4, 12/11, 1/8, 1/22, 1/29, 2/5

The IMC producers of the show would like to have some flexibility in the
structure of each show.  Generally the show would follow this format:

First 20 minutes 	 local news from the week
Second 40 minutes 	 local interviews
Third 10 minutes 	 spotlight on the IMC  visions, invitation, future
with WEFT.

Local interviewees would include:
1. Trisha Avery and Tony Fabri, members of the County Board, will answer
questions such as: Who is on the County Board?  Whats the scope and
influence of the County Board ?  What are interesting issues before the
County Board in the upcoming months?  How can the public have input on
these decisions?  Whats the significance of the recent and historically
unusual Democratic majority on the County Board?
2. Amy Jennings is the brain trust for the Radical Cheerleaders, a
movement combining protest and performance which has spread through the
direct action activist community like wildfire. "It's activism with pom
poms and middle fingers extended."  Amy will talk about her boredom with
shrill, serious protest as well as her recent experiences in Philadelphia
where she has been advocating for activists facing 20-60 year jail terms
for their involvement in the protests around the Republican National
Convention.
3. Mike Wright of the National Council of African American Men describing
the projects of his organization.
4. XTN is a street smart AIDS activists who works with hustlers and
homeless victims of AIDS throughout the United States and Cuba.  In
addition he recently conducted workshops with activists traumatized by
police brutality in Philadelphia during the protests at the Republican
National Convention.
5. Fred Kummerow  retired faculty from the U of I who discovered the need
for Niacin enrichment.
6. Sascha Meinrath and Mark Aber reporting on the School Climate Survey
conducted by the School Climate Research team at the U of I which is
scheduled to be released December 11th.  The surveys content was created
in collaboration with parents and children in Champaign public schools.
The survey has drawn a lot of fire concerning race inequity.  The IMC
would like to produce an in-depth story on the history, results, release,
and reaction to the survey.

Arguments in support of this proposal:
1. The IMC is an emerging news service for WEFT, WILL, the Octopus, and
other local news venues.  These one time shows would provide a venue for
the multitude of stories currently being produced each week by IMC
reporters.  Currently, these stories are  being posted online or sent to
national news services and therefore are not specifically offered to the
local community.  In addition, these reports would give the WEFT PC an
opportunity to become acquainted with the work of the IMC as it
deliberates about its future role at WEFT.
2. The interview and story ideas offered are a mixture of timely stories
that we predict wont adequately be covered by local mainstream news venues
and stories of organizations and people whose hard work, we feel, has not
received adequate attention.