[Imc] Buy Nothing Day letter

Sarah Kanouse skanouse at usa.net
Mon Nov 20 15:12:56 UTC 2000

Nancy--

The letter is great and contains a lot of really useful information.  I'd send
it to the Gazoo and the Octopus, but the DI isn't publishing this week.  I do
have a few suggestions--

1)  We might want to be more explicit that Buy Nothing Day is really
that--thousands of people choosing to not buy anything because they know they
don't really need anything, because they would rather spend time with family
and building community than building the nation's GDP.  The average reader of
the N-G may not make the connection between the day's name and te activity.

2)  On the Critical Mass list, there has been some discussion of the timing of
Buy Nothing Day--if you are doing anti-consumerist activism on the day after
Thanksgiving, one argument goes, then you run the risk of appearing
anti-holiday.  The stats on parents spending more almost eight times more time
shopping than playing with their kids is appalling--the letter could expand on
this briefly to show that CONSUMERISM is anti-holiday/anti-family.

3) At the end of the letter, I'd recommend including the Adbuster's URL
for people to get more information and, hopefully, for the N-G to do some
research and actually write an article (Yeah, right, but we all have dreams)

All in all, nice work.  I will forward your leter to the IMC list--you can
post by sending mail to imc at lists.groogroo.com.

Thanks for taking this on...

--Sarah