[Imc] Re: dec 9 event

Cope Cumpston cumpston at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 20 18:14:13 UTC 2000

Many thanks for pitching in with this one.

December 9: Education Forum on Issues Facing Urbana School District 116

10:30-noon at King School gymnasium, 1108 Fairview, Urbana

The first hour will be a collection of various speakers (between 5 and
8) for around 5 minutes each. There will be a moderator.

The last half hour will be question-and-answer or discussion session.

I don't know what kind of PR system there will be; I assume there will
be a microphone but it may not be moveable for questions afterward.

Can you tell me what would be best for your set-up, and I'll talk with
the people at the school.

Also -- will it be ok for me to work with what is recorded so that I can
edit it for a one-hour show on WEFT? I'm happy to work with whoever is
covering this so we can make it a joint project, or do it separately --
whatever his/her preference is.

Cope Cumpston

Our blurb recruiting particpants follows:

TO: Citizens Concerned for Quality Education, Urban League of Champaign
County, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People,
Urbana Education
Association and  Urbana Educational Support Association, Advocates for
Education, Urbana Equity Steering Committee, Urbana School Board, Fair
Share Coalition

FROM: Sharon Irish, Urbana Project for Educational Democracy (UPED)

RE: Forum on Issues facing Urbana School District 116

This is a critical time for all public schools. We've just elected state
officials who will be facing policy decisions that can help or hurt our
schools. And in both Urbana and
Champaign, school board elections are coming up in April. Now is the
time for us to focus on what we need and how we can work together for
the public schools.

The Urbana Project for Educational Democracy (UPED) is organizing a
community forum to identify concerns in education. We are inviting our
state representatives as well
as local groups who are involved with issues facing Urbana School
District 116 particularly. We ask you to join this forum, bringing your
point of view about these issues
as well as others that you see as important:

       #       funding mechanisms for education
       #       adequate health care for staff and students
       #       teacher and administrator shortages
       #       mentoring of support staff to become teachers
       #       learning assessment or quantifying quality

The forum will be held at King School, 1108 Fairview Avenue in Urbana,
in the cafeteria on SATURDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2000, from 10:30 AM to NOON.
We
hope that a representative of your organization can attend. Each group's
designated spokesperson  will be allotted 5 minutes to speak.  Ideally,
these statements would also be
available in writing so that the politicians could take them with them.
(The order of presentation would be by lot.) Group statements would take
up the first hour. Then the
elected officials will be heard, for 20 minutes. The last ten minutes
would then be spent on written questions submitted to the politicians.

We have assembled a number of other participants so that we can have an
active dialogue: the Urbana PTA (Parent-Teachers' Association) Council,
the King School PTA,
the League of Women Voters, and the Champaign County Delinquency
Prevention Board.

--
Copenhaver Cumpston
 Art Director