[Imc] meeting notes 10-8-00

Zachary Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Sun Oct 8 20:26:17 UTC 2000

> Listserv/people list -- People can subscribe themselves to the email
> list.

If people put out publications you can mention the URL:

or just say "Go to http://lists.groogroo.com/ and click on 'Imc'"

> News Collective

As was mentioned we (Arun and Zach on WEFT's Excuse Me Mr.) only
played a very small portion of S26 Candidates Forum on our radio
show. We hope to play the rest before the election either on Oct 18 or
Nov 1.

I am getting audio from last night's St. Clair talk tomorrow from Jim
Buell. I will put this on minidisc share with whoever is
interested. The topic was his book "Al Gore: A Users Manual". Jim also
has video which he is going to try to get to air on public access. I
am _positive_ that Jim would _love_ for someone else to take the lead
on getting this on public access. He is very very over burdened with
Green party stuff.

Arun and I captured a lot of audio at the Boston Nader Rally. Hope to
transfer to MP3s soon. We got lots of statements from people who were
tabling there and others who were hanging around.

Arun and I hope to capture some similar audio at Chicago.

> Oct. 15 is the deadline for getting S26 news to Jobs with
> Justice. Paul Riismandel will collect it.

Paul, I have the minidiscs from Paul K. I will try to digitize
everything tonight so I can give the originals back to you.

> Website/Tech updates -- Zach Miller said he could temporarily host the
> site, but not permanently.

I can host it as long as I have the resources to do so. If we remain a
low traffic site then I can host it permanently. If we only grow at
the same rate that I upgrade my own hardware then I can host it
permanently. If we are wildly sucessful and IMC wants to buy some
hardware/connectivity then I can host it permanently.

Basically for now we're good to go with my setup. I'm just waiting on
a few configuration details to be finished by my DSL provider then I
can set up my webserver. I hope to have the IMC software up sometime
this week.

I am also going to purchase some extra hardware to make it easier to
make MP3s from minidiscs so I can do that kind of processing as well
to get stuff up on line easier.

I don't know PHP but I can easily learn enough to set up the existing
IMC software. I don't think we need a dedicated PHP programmers, its
supposed to be very easy for any geek to learn and tehre are several
geeks in our ranks.

I do have to warn that I oscillate between being completely and
totally inspired and ready to do everything and realizing that I have
very little free time at all.

> Funding

I've been having this radical idea lately. What if we could make a
_very_ serious pitch to local organizations to help fund us in a
"membership" sort of model. Kind of like how WEFT gets funded by the
community it serves. I think if we were really serious we could make a
serious case to a lot of local organizations that we can do them a lot
of good if we had some money. We could share various resources (web
space, air time or print space in any publication we may produce) with
our members as an incentive.

Separately, I am very interested in the idea of eventually putting
together an independent newspaper to offer a real non-corporate
alternative to the Octopus. We could use advertisements in such a
paper to raise funds.

There is also the possibility of other local fundraising efforts like
benefit concerts and such.

We should also look into getting funding from the Public Interest Fund
of Illinois. They do a lot of good for WEFT.

> Equipment -- Danielle is compiling a list of equipment that people own
> and are willing to share.  William Gillespie volunteered to set up the
> print media shop.

Add to the list:
1 portable minidisc recorder and microphone
Webserver space and expertise
1 hour of radio time every 2 weeks
1 CD-RW drive + ability to print labels for CDs
1 digital camera

soon to be acquired:
1 console minidisc recorder
1 sound card with digital in/out for lossless digitizing of minidiscs

All of this stuff (except the portable stuff) has to stay at my house
but anyone is welcome to use any of it.

> Archivists/Radical Librarians -- Ellen, Paul Kotheimer, Sarah

We need to establish an archive location at WEFT. Not neccessarily our
main archive. But I would like to see a shelf of well organized and
labeled CDs and minidiscs of audio we produce at WEFT in a prominant
location. The programming committee at WEFT is very keen on this idea
as well. I can help work on establishing this.

--
Zachary C. Miller - Go We Go - http://wolfgang.groogroo.com/ - @=
IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet