[Imc] Re: DN!'s Amy Goodman in peril (fwd)

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at onthejob.net
Thu Oct 19 21:55:59 UTC 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:41:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: Steven J Scher <cfsjs at eiu.edu>
To: C. G. Estabrook <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>
Cc: Kimberlie Kranich <kranich at uiuc.edu>, WEFTa <wefta at prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: DN!'s Amy Goodman in peril

The board has charged the PC with looking for programming to replace all
Pacifica programming, with the general idea that without seeing
improvement in many aspects of the Pacifica operation, we wouldn't renew
our contract when it comes due next fall.  So, the steps are in place to
stop running DN & PNN if the station decides we want to take that step.
However, we can only do it if we have programming to replace it.  So, I
hope the PC will start their discussions by taking this step.

The PC could, of course, decide to stop playing Pacifica programs before
the contract expires.  (The PC is charged with deciding what programs we
run and don't run, always).  However, they don't want to do that unless
there is something to replace it.  (and, as Kimberlie points out, it has
to be Informational/Public Affairs programming.  Of course, that's only if
we really follow our byzantine procedures... and some people have
previously suggested we shouldn't do that... So, those people ought to
have no complaints if the PC decides to fill the time with music...).

I would not be opposed to a decision to replace the airing of Pacifica
programming with other informational programming, if that is what the PC
and other station bodies think is appropriate.  But, I do think that we
will have to comply with our contract with Pacifica -- which requires that
we pay for our affiliation through next fall.  (There might be some form
of protest we could engage in, but I am concerned about legal
ramifications that Pacifica might take, so I want to be very careful).

Anyway, lets look for good programming to replace Pacifica if we so
decide.  And, even better, lets generate more good LOCAL news programming.
We are, after all, COMMUNITY radio.

Steve

Steven J. Scher              cfsjs at eiu.edu         Listen to WEFT 90.1FM
Department of Psychology     217-581-7269      and at www.prairienet.org/weft
Eastern Illinois University
Charleston, IL 61920         "As Duke Ellington once said, the Battle of
USA                        Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Elkton"
                                       - Babe Ruth