[Imc] Notes and reminder

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Fri Oct 20 21:53:28 UTC 2000

Here are the notes to last week's meeting.

We're meeting again this Sunday at noon at 1006 S. Garfield.  Everyone should
attend!

If anyone has any media they've produced (the S26 things or something else)
that they'd like others to see/hera/read, please let me know.

Rough Agenda:
Updates-
* Physical location
* Fundraiser
* Web location
* Incorporation
* Fundraising

Old things-
* Meeting Location

New things-
* IMC's role at WEFT re: Pacifica crisis
* Our mission

See you Sunday,
Peter

IMC
at 1006 S. Garfield

Attending:  Paul Riismandel (facilitator), Todd _____, Zach Miller, Sascha
Meinrath, Sarah Kanouse, Sehvilla Mann, Andy ______, Celeste Verhelst, Dave
Powers, Danielle Chynoweth, Molly Stentz, Mike Lehman, Brian Hagy, Ellen
Knudsen, Jim Buell, Mark Enslin

Meeting began at 12:10

Facilitator:  Peter volunteered to facilitate the next meeting.

Name:  Existing candidates were listed, more were solicited, none were offered.
Name should be broad enough to include other cities in the region--maybe form
an alliance with other cities, later.  “IMC” connects to the movement, but will
we tire of “independent”? Take back the word, ”civic” (Civic media center)?
“Civic” may raise images of the local government (do we want this?).
Urbana-Champaign Civic Media Center
Some feel strongly about including the “civic” concept in our image.  Will
either name be more broadly appealing to marginalized communities?

“Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center” selected by consensus.

S26 Materials:  Things were handed over to Molly.

Reports:  Info, first; action suggestions, later.

News gp:  Trainings, set up a listserv for discussion among 'reporters' & send
periodic updates to the main list.  DC and PM recorded the Chicago Nader rally;
DC uploaded some to IMC & sent email to wefta announcing the availability of
material.  Nader caravan on campus at noonish on Tues. at alma mater--people
volunteered to cover it.

Tech:  Zach got the server almost ready.  G-IMC’s software is “not
well-packaged, at all.”  Z & Molly will work on it.

Incorporation:  Witnesses, $50, directors needed (contactable people who won’t
disappear off the face of the earth).  Employer Identification Number
application is in.

Fundraising:  SM proposes that we begin asking the $50 donors to begin paying,
now.  We’ll have expenses incorporating, etc.

Space:  DC--another ‘in’ to Norm & Carolyn Baxley (cinema café owners) has been
found.  Need to strategize after this meeting.

Regional Networking: No rept.

RFU: No rept.

Radical Librarians: No rept.

Equipment:  Mike L will mail out list of equip.

Print:  No rep present

Actions

Incorporation: Purpose is established.  BOD solicited. DC proposes that the BOD
does not make decisions without consulting with the committee of the whole.
Agreed.  Mike Lehman, Danielle Chynoweth, Molly Stentz, Sascha Meinrath, Brian
Hagy volunteered and will be listed as directors.

Address--Use Mike Lehman’s PO box for US mail (Box 953, Urbana 61803)
Registered office address is On the Job Consulting (115 Main St., Urbana,
61801).

Tech training: Date: 29 Oct as part of the regular meeting. Basic use of MDs,
cassette recorders, etc; and ‘how-to conduct interviews’.

DC has David Barsamian tape discussing interviews.  DC proposes that we listen
to it as a group and discuss it.  CLAM course about computer audio, video, etc.
by Brian Hagy--Sun 3-5 pm at 115 Main St.

Fundraising:  Joint fundraiser with Greens, etc.  Jim Buell and Sarah are
planning.  Speeches, performances, etc. are encouraged--contact Sarah.
Sustaining donors have been found, but we need more!  Sascha will open a bank
account and sign checks until another treasurer is found.  PIFI?  CDBG money?
Partnership Illinois?  Working with disenfranchised people opens possibilities
for grants.

Broadening the group:  New meeting place.  Next meeting will be at the school,
but we’ll look for other spaces.  DC will pursue Urban League and Cinema;
others should look, too.  Peter will look into McKinley Foundation.

Promotional Materials?  Need an explanation of what we do.  What would you like
to see in a mission statement?  Send your ideas to imc list.

Meeting adjourned at 1:40 pm.