[Imc] IMC should try to tape Loewen's talks and interview him

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at onthejob.net
Tue Oct 24 20:42:56 UTC 2000

If anyone is able to tape any of his talks, could you coordinate this over
the IMC list?  I will be out of town for much of this, but will leave my
portable minidisc recorder and a stack of minidiscs in the dining room of
my house where the side door is open during the day.

thanks!
danielle

James Loewen
Guest-In-Residence at Unit One/Allen Hall

James Loewen wrote the best-selling Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything
Your High School History Textbook Got Wrong, in part a critique of
existing textbooks, but also an account of American history as it should
be taught. Jim Loewen taught race relations for 20 years at the University
of Vermont. Previously he taught at predominantly black Tougaloo College
in Mississippi. He now lives in Washington, D.C., continuing his research
on how Americans remember their past. His other books include Lies Across
America: What Our Historic Markers and Monuments Get Wrong, The Truth
About Columbus, and Mississippi: Conflict and Change.

Monday, October 23
9:00pm
 Growing Up (Very) White in Central Illinois

Tuesday, October 24
8:30pm
 How Standardized Tests Like the SAT, GRE, and LSAT Lie About Your
Abilities (in the Main Lounge)

Thursday, October 26
9:00pm
 Lies Across America: How Historic Sites Get History Wrong

Sunday, October 29
3:00pm
 Boxes and Walls
 e-mail lbaker1 at uiuc.edu to make reservations and meet at the front
entrance

Monday, October 30
9:00pm
 Lies My Teacher Told Me About Native Americans

Tuesday, October 31
8:30pm
 Lies My Teacher Told Me About African Americans

Wednesday, November 1
8:00pm
 Race Relations in Your Hometown

Thursday, November 2
9:00pm
 Race Relations Movie Night: Mississippi Burning (in the Main
Lounge)

All events are open to the public and take place in the South Rec
Room of Allen Hall, 1005 W. Gregory, Urbana unless noted. Call
333-8351 for more information.

Laura Haber
Assistant Director of Unit One
68 Allen Hall (MC 050)