[Imc] two upcomming events...

Molly Stentz molly at onthejob.net
Fri Oct 27 15:47:01 UTC 2000

I think it is preferable to just refer to ourselves as the Independent
Media Center, especially to the public and press.

I thought UCIMC was the name we created for legal purposes, and I'm
afraid it's quite wordy for press releases and such..  and I like the idea
of groups popping up all over the country all calling themselves
Independent Media Centers. Using the generic IMC name obfuscates our
relationship to the national movement/seattle/dc and the movement's
organizational structure, and I think we should build on that.

(And use what has been built: name recognition!)

In other words, we're not just some dinky smalltown group trying to
replicate what we saw some people do in seattle (no snickering please),
but we *are* seattle. (if you get my drift...)

We are actually a vibrant part of the national indymedia movement,
which had but just one locus in seattle; and there is no reason why what
happened there couldn't happen here.
(I mean, especially now that Champaign has a tank and all ;) )

my 2 cents.
-Molly