[Imc] Living Wage Candidate Survey

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 27 20:47:47 UTC 2000

*** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ***
OCT. 27, 2000

	The Champaign County Living Wage Association (CCLWA) is pleased to
announce the results of our candidate survey of those running for
various local, state, and federal offices in Champaign County races in
the November, 2000 general election.  We were excited to find that
support of the Living Wage concept has increased since the primary
election. Several of the candidates have changed their position so that
they now fully support the position of the CCLWA.
We were especially pleased to receive our first full endorsement from
the Republicans, Steve O’Connor, running for County Board in District
#4. This display of bipartisan support on this important labor issue is
heartening, as it will be necessary for the next county board to have in
order to overcome the inertia that has prevented the present county
board from dealing fairly with county employees. Champaign County
currently pays about 20% of its workers less than the Living Wage.

These candidates are on record in support of Living Wage jobs:
County Board
Vern Zehr, D, District #1
Barney Bryson, D, District #2
Steve O’Connor, R, District #4
Tony Fabri, D, District #6
Jan Anderson, D, District #7
Tom Betz, D, District #8
Jenny Putman, D, District #8

Circuit Clerk
Phyllis Clark, D

Auditor
Gerrie Parr, D

104th District State Representative
"Chub" Conner, D

U.S. Congress, 15th Congressional District
Mike Kelleher, D

We thank these candidates for their support of Living Wage jobs and ask
that the public reflect on the importance of this issue in keeping the
American Dream alive for all workers when they vote in November.
Generally, the CCLWA asks that direct government employees, and those
working on contracts for goods and services for government use, be paid
no less than the federal poverty level for a family of four (currently
$17,056 a year or $8.20 hour). Provisions for basic healthcare coverage
are also included in these requirements. We are also asking that
government subsidies and tax abatements for business development contain
Living Wage requirements so that those receiving the benefits of public
largesse give the public a fair return on the taxpayer dollars invested.
The Living Wage addresses two glaring faults in our booming economy.
First, the benefits of economic growth have been unevenly distributed.
In inflation-adjusted dollars, wages for the bottom 10% of wage earners
fell by 10.5% between 1979 and 1998. In 1997, 28.6% of the workforce
earned poverty-level wages and over one third of U.S. workers currently
earn less than $10 an hour. Secondly, about 44 million Americans lack
any healthcare coverage. These disturbing trends are a threat to the
existent of a free and equitable society, where all workers and their
families can enjoy the fruits of progress. The Living Wage puts
governments on record in support of the quality of jobs necessary to
avoid government dependency and it insures that government development
efforts are of benefit to all taxpayers.

For further information, visit our website at:
< http://www.prairienet.org/livingwage/>

Note: Our website will be updated with the results of this survey within
the next few days. The survey from the April, 2000 primary election is
currently available there.

or contact:
Mike Lehman
217-344-5609