[Imc] IMC Radio -- participation?

Paul Riismandel video at granny.lang.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 18 18:28:57 UTC 2001

 From global IMC
(http://www.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=35132&group=webcast):

IMC Radio Teams Unite!

There has been much conversation about starting a weekly IMC Radio Report
for broadcast on community and pirate radio around the english speaking
world. We are proposing that this project start with coverage of the FTAA
Demonstrations in Quebec, and border demonstrations and solidarity
demonstrations around the Americas on April 20th. The proposal is for a ½
hour weekly three part series comprised of Headlines, Stories, Backround and
Phone Interviews. IMC Vermont is Volunteering to produce the first three
programs (as we have the gear and the know how all ready to go). Using the
process that IMC radio folks established for the National Radio Project
Headlines project, we can use the website for doing pier editing and
colaborative production from any where (see below). We could produce the
program over the weekend, to allow for broad participation, and it could be
downloaded for broadcast on the following Mondays:

April 16th This first program would include coverage of the demonstrations
planned for Argentina on the weekend of the 7th and 8th as well as a Quebec
city and border info update and a substantial backround to the FTAA.

April 23rd This program would be comprised of reports on demonstrations
around the Americas with a focus on Quebec.(This is the big one!)

April 30th This program would be comprised of follow up reports on the
demonstrations, jail solidarity updates, arrests and what effects the
demonstrations had on the FTAA and community organizing around the Americas.

The programs would provide an overview of the issues and events concerning
the FTAA made available on line for listening (in real audio) and
downloading for rebroadcast on radio (in mp3).
We need the participation of people who can produce content! If there is a
Demonstration in your area, record interviews, chants, stories and write
text. If you cannot currently edit your story or can only write text about
the demonstrations, we can do quality phone interviews and field reports as
well as editing your story here for you. Just upload to the website! IMC's
are encouraged to do editing and production workshops (Resources will be on
the website soon). Finished stories should be from 1-8 minutes in mp3
format. The process that we used for the NRP headlines project in February
allowed anyone to upload text, audio or links to a working newswire (a
staging ground of sorts), where other IMC folks could edit text in the
comments section, as well as downloading audio, recording voice overs and
uploading to the web again. We also had regularly scheduled IRC meetings for
editorial decisions. If done effectively this can help to create a
decentralized and participatory production schedule. If we get a few solid
audio teams to agree to produce content, line up interviews and write text
we will have three quality programs and a foundation for an ongoing weekly

IMC Radio Report!
We need people that have contact with community, alternative, college,
public, and micro radio stations to distribute and air these and other IMC
programs.

We are currently working on Radio.indymedia.org which can be used as a
networking tool first for these programs and later for a weekly program as
well as specials. For a mock up you can go to
www.freemedianetwork.org/IMC/Index.html.
radio.indymedia.org