[Imc] [grc] Protest if Amy Goodman is fired (fwd)

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at onthejob.net
Wed Aug 8 19:15:26 UTC 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:57:39 -0400
From: Lyn Gerry <lyn at radio4all.org>
To: grc at PEAK.ORG, pma-l at lightlink.com
Subject: [grc] Protest if Amy Goodman is fired

From:           	Bob Lederer <ledererbob at usa.net>
Subject:        	Protest if Amy Goodman is fired

The anonymous email below, posted this morning on the WBAI Goodlights
Message Board, is the latest of many pieces of evidence that Amy
Goodman is in serious danger of being fired very soon, ostensibly for
refusing to stop saying "From the studios of the banned and the
fired" etc. In order to be prepared, the Action Committee of
Concerned Friends of WBAI last night decided on the following
contingency plan:

If you tune in at 9 am and do not hear Amy's voice on Democracy Now,
we will rally the next day (unless it occurs on Friday) from
7:00-10:00 a.m. in front of the station at 120 Wall St. If that
occurs on Friday, we will rally at noon on Saturday in front of the
station. If you hear an old re-run of her show, call the Concerned
Friends hotline at 800-825-0055 for the latest information on our
response. If Amy is removed from the air, we will announce a
phone/email pressure campaign on specific Pacifica officials, as well
as a town meeting within several days to involve many people in
mobilizing a broad range of actions.

In the meantime, remember Bernard White's words, "Stay strong and pay
close attention."

Bob Lederer
Fired and Banned WBAI Producer

        UNCONFIRMED RUMOR THAT YASKO AND WASH ARE IN NY
        TO FIRE AMY THIS MORNING FROM MY FRIEND IN DC
        Wed Aug 8 05:48:31 2001

        I just got an email from a friend of mine who is peripherally
connected to the pacifica office in Washington. she says that yasko
and wash have gone up to NY to lower the boom on Amy this morning. It
makes sense to me since they just got rid of Knight and Lederer and
now their going after the last real survivor. my friend says they
realize this will cause and uproar and theyve planned for it. There
will be big holes in the schedules of all the stations that will need
to be filled ASAP. they also have a contingency plan for how the
staffs might react (strike?) and how listeners in NY and Berkeley
will take it.

        This now is mostly speculation but my friend said they may
just jack david corn in starting on thursday morning to start hosting
"Democracy Now" from washington or they might play repeats of Amy for
a week or so.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Unwelcome Guests
A radio program about wealth, power and resistance
to the New World Order
http://www.radio4all.org/unwelcome
on WEOS-FM Geneva, NY and WXXE-FM Syracuse Community Radio

This  majordomo list has been formed to continue discussion
generated at  the Madison GRC-5 and the Boulder GRC-6
conferences.  Subscribers to  <grc at peak.org> may  choose to
receive a digest format where several posts are bundled
together in a single email .

Consensus is that news items do NOT belong in the
grc list unless they relate to the GRC mission.

Those seeking subscribe/unsubscribe -and other information may post the
message  --   intro grc  --to  <majordomo at peak.org>.