[Imc] Know thy Enemy

sizemore sizemore at soltec.net
Sat Aug 18 16:52:29 UTC 2001

It occurred to me that some people might want to understand the
"independent" in Independent Media Center. What is the IMC independent from?
My own personal take is that the IMC is independent of the mainstream
Corporate Government Media Industrial Complex. 1984's Ministry of
Information cleverly disguised as a "free press."

You can find a reasonably accurate picture of this complex network at:
http://www.understandingusa.com/chaptercc=14&cs=302.html
Pay particular attention to the headings: The Big Seven, Newspapers and
Advertising. These are the few who shape the many.

These graphics are not the easiest to read online, even when you click on
the "View Full Size" button. Note that there is an option at the bottom of
some pages to download the chapters as PDF's. They are much clearer.

You might also consider requesting the book "Understanding USA" from your
local library. They can retrieve it for you through interlibrary loan. I did
this and photocopied the main graphic of "The Big Seven." I will drop it by
the IMC.

Know thy enemy,

Eric Sizemore