[Imc] Robert Meade "Bobby" "Israel" Deaf Messenger

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 21 22:26:15 UTC 2001

I think this is a subject we need to bring up at the next Steering Group
meeting as it may take several discussions to come up with a solution to
the problem.

Mr. R.M."B.""I."D.M. has been a plague on many IMC sites. His rambling
dissertations on vaguely religious subjects that constantly and only
refer back to his previous posts (and his daddy) create the impression
that the IMC is little more than a crackpot bulletin board.

I was especially disturbed to encounter another of his posts, new on the
website, just after coming home from handing out 300 public-i's on the
Quad while urging the recipient to "be sure check out our website." If
folks on the Quad want to listen to that stuff, there's plenty to choose
from there. Reading Bobby's rants might be the primary impression that
someone might have of IMC if they read it today.

I will note right here, for those that might consider taking any action
to be unacceptable censorship, that his posts generally violate the IMC
policy that is right there on the Publish page, i.e. they actually are
not news. I quote from that page, "please post news items only, leave
your comments for discussion areas".

What prompts me to call for action now are two things:
1) His posts are hidden regularly at many IMCs, due to exactly the
problems I've mentioned with his posts simply not being news in any real
sense. We, who do not take this action at the present, are where he's
found to hang out. Like our own infamous brick & mortar hanger-out, I
believe we should act because Mr. R.M."B.""I."D.M.'s targeting of our
IMC now makes action necessary to avoid a damaging impact on the mission
and image of the U-C IMC. I wish to invoke the process that we developed
in our previous experience with intolerable conduct at the IMC. Now we
have an electronic version of squatting (not that I'm against justified,
sane squats, don't take me wrong) going on, so we will have to proceed
in a different manner.

2) His posts now contain comments that indicate that Mr.
R.M."B.""I."D.M.'s only purpose is to see his story on the front page. I
quote him here:
"front page or bust"
"by bob 10:17am Tue Aug 21 '01  address: nn phone: na na nn na"
He has taken to appending this comment to every post he makes, an act
which seems to me rather revelatory of his intentions and motivations,
which are surely not to contribute to the IMC news effort.
Hiding his posts may be enough to discourage him and he may just go
away, as it seems that seeing his name up in lights is his primary
motivation.

I wish to add this to new business Sunday, but I welcome everyone's
comments also.
Mike Lehman