[Imc] Robert Meade "Bobby" "Israel" Deaf Messenger

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 22 04:23:06 UTC 2001

Thanks Mike for bringing this up.  I agree with you completely, and while I
find him mostly harmless, it is clear that his intent is really not
constructive nor cooperative, and does threaten to taint our website,
despite our disclaimer.

As the de facto website "editor" I think that this issue brings to the fore
our need to develop some sort of editorial policy for the website that
addresses the issue of weeding the Newswire along with choosing the
Features.  I have an ad hoc features "procedure" that I use and would be
glad to share.

Believe it or not, I enjoy doing the weekly features update, but I also
recognize that my role as website "editor" is basically by default, and
therefore not really by consensus by anyone.  I take the lack of complaints
or other comments about the website features to indicate that I do a good
enough job and exert reasonable judgement in doing so, but that does not
mean that a more consistent and explicit method shouldn't be put in place.

Other IMC's have editorial collectives that work on the front page
features--I know at least Portland and Maidson do--though those IMC's also
exclusively publish via their webpages.  We may want to have a collective,
or maybe just a coordinator (which basically is what I do), or may want to
put in into the purview of a working group--I'm agnostic on this
question.  But we should at least decide our approach explicitly and
actively--at least for the fact that it will withstand outside scrutiny
better.

(I will note that the relative paucity of locally written stories published
to the newswire doesn't exactly make the website update a terribly time
consuming job.  At this point, I think updating more than weekly would be
pointless, since we're lucky to get a total of 3 locally originated stories
published in any given week.)

As far as dealing with Mr. Deaf Messenger, I think we need to write a clear
purpose statement for the newswire, and develop a simple and unambiguous
method for deciding that a post or posts are inappropriate.  I would like
to see something built in that is similar in spirit to our personnel
policy, whereby we at least attempt to reason with someone who becomes a
nuisance.  This, of course, requires that the person leave a valid e-mail
address, but I'm comfortable with the fact that one of the risks of
anonymous posting is the loss of the ability to be reasoned with.

Comments?

--Paul