[Imc] philosophical question

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 24 02:57:23 UTC 2001

Hi all,

I have an interesting question for folks.  Here's the background: About a
month ago, as I was building the IMC library website, I decided it'd be cool
to ask a webzine list for submissions and descriptions of websites that I
would collect, organize, and give access to via our site. Seemed a good idea
since we are collecting local zines in the library anyway.  Well, some of the
submissions were from folks with webzines of erotic nature.  As of now, I have
not added those webzines to the collection, but I'd like to ask for your input
so that I can justify our collection. So here is an example of one sent to me
(there are
4 or 5 others):

Borcher's D/s Gazette - An art erotica e-zine for the general adult public
with a focus on fetish and bdsm, with articles and personal essays, poetry,
and art.
http://borchernews.com

the collection of our webzines is here:
http://urbana.indymedia.org/library/webzines.html

My feelings are mixed. Yes, we are a media organization, and erotica (like
religious spoutings) does not fall within our scope. As a librarian, one
seldom gets a chance to collect EVERYTHING due to budget-, space constraints
and the like, but on the web, it is much easier to collect EVERY zine I come
across. So my questions are:

1) what are the pros and cons of collecting erotic webzines for the IMC
library;
2) If I DO collect them, should they be part of the list or separated out by
subject.

Thanks for any input.

James Jacobs
radical Librarian

James R. Jacobs
Graduate Reference Assistant
Education/Social Science Library
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
Savoy, IL 61874
(217)359-9283
jacobs at uiuc.edu
   (\
  {|||8-
   (/

"Librarians, Dusty, possess a vast store of politeness.
These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest
questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate
every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather
there is."
--Garrison Keillor, "Lives of the Cowboys"