[Imc] Witnesses needed!

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 24 13:57:41 UTC 2001

Queer folks and glbt supporters are needed to witness the outcome of the
trial of the "Springfield 5" on Wednesday, August 29th in Springfield.

The "Springfield 5" are members of the 85% Coalition who were arrested May
9, 2001 for disrupting a Senate Executive Committee Hearing by marching to
the front of the hearing room and chanting "No, no, we won't go, until we
have equality.  We're your daughters, we're your sons, pass House Bill 101"
after the Committee Chair announced that the gay rights bill would not be
heard.

The "Springfield 5" have been charged with criminal trespass to state
supported land.  If convicted, the activists each face a maximum of 364 days
in jail and a $2,500 fine.

To prove criminal trespass, the state must demonstrate that the activists
were told verbally or in writing by the Secretary of State Police to leave
the Committee Room and refused.  Police officers are the state's witnesses.
Their reports contain outright lies.  They say that we were asked to leave
and didn't.  The truth is, we were flanked by several officers while
standing and chanting.  The officers said nothing to us and they surrounded
us.  When they grabbed and tugged on our arms we willingly went with them.

If you'd like to be a witness to the outcome of the trial, please email me
personally for arrangements. Thanks!

Kimberlie, "a Springfield 5" defendant

p.s. Listen to "Keepin' the Faith" on WILL AM580 at 5pm on Sunday when the
85% Coalition will be the  Rev. Steve Shoemaker's guests