[UCIMC-print] Re: [Imc] Urgent Imc/Public i Issue

Ellen Knutson knutson at shout.net
Fri Aug 24 17:42:26 UTC 2001

This is not necessary a direct response Sandra or Sascha, however (as the
person who called for the caucus) I feel that another restatement of the
purpose of the caucus is in order. In the process of putting out two issues
of the public i, it has become abundantly clear that there is confusion
about the roles of the people who are working hard to put the paper
together. And indeed I would argue that there are competing views as to
what those roles should be. It also became abundantly clear to me that
trying to hash it out in the larger group was not getting us any where fast.

  Therefore I called a caucus, which in my understanding of consensus
procedures, is a tactic that can be used when there is disagreement in the
larger group. The caucus must include the people who have the strongest
feelings about the issue at hand.

The caucus is charged with creating a proposal that everyone at the caucus
can live with, which is then presented to the whole group for
action/decision. So as Sascha mentioned this group is not a decision making
body at all.

Also, I feel that I need to defend myself a bit.. (I maybe feeling a bit
sensitive of late, those who follow print minutes probably know why). But I
did intend to send an email just announcing the caucus. But its only 14
hours since I sent the print minutes last night, and this is the first time
I've been on email since. I feel like I wasn't given a chance to make the
announcement, before I was called into question for not doing so.

--Ellen