[Imc] Urgent Imc/Public i Issue

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 24 15:05:30 UTC 2001

I think all the points Sandra has raised are important, and I also feel
that this illustrates one of the major problems we are having in the Print
Media group:

We held our weekly meeting and consensed around the idea of holding a print
caucus focused on how to create a roll for the editors-at-large that both
facilitated their own feelings of efficacy and addressed the concerns of
many section editors and paper contributors surrounding the process of
editing articles.  After the meeting we met briefly (as we decided to do in
the meeting) and found a time when all the people who had expressed their
desire to participate could meet.  When then discussed and agreed upon
(again by consensus) where we should meet.

Many of the problems we have been having concern the idea of process and
decision-making -- creating processes that are fair, inclusive, safe, and
empowering; and abiding by decisions once we make them.  I think everyone
at the Public i meetings are participating because we care deeply about the
paper and about producing indymedia.

I also feel that one main goal of the print caucus meeting is to meet as a
small group to create a proposal to be brought to the print group as a
whole that addresses the concerns of Public i participants.  We did not
desire to create a public forum and this is not a decision-making
body.  This ad-hoc group was created because people want to work out our
differences of opinion in a safe, more intimate group.

I understand that because Sandra was not at the Public i meeting she did
not know about this, however, because this has been sent out to the main
IMC list I feel that I needed to put out a reply.

--Sascha