[Imc] Unsubscribe yourselves, it's easy

Chas. M. Bee c-bee1 at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 30 21:55:07 UTC 2001

David Young wrote:

> Actually, it is NOT easy to cancel a subscription. What
> ought to be a two-step process takes several steps (witness my
> instructions for Abraham et al.), and that's only after you visit
> http://lists.cu.groogroo.com/cgi-bin/listinfo/imc.
>
> By the way, that URL is NOT its own best explanation, and I doubt
> that most people even read it. The keyword "listinfo" is actually
> discouraging. Someone who wants to unsubscribe doesn't want "info,"
> they want to get something DONE. In fact, the page at that URL does not
> contain an unsubscribe option. You have to navigate to the badly-labeled
> "Imc Configuration" page to unsubscribe. Not too thoughtful a design,
> there.  The unsubscribe option is just important enough to be displayed
> prominently on the front page.

   The procedure seems to be click on link, enter e-mail address, click
(which automatically 'navigates' for you), enter password, click.
Speaking realistically, I don't know of a simpler system which offers
sufficient security to keep some mook from unsubscribing all y'all just
for grins.  Disclaimer - I don't even play a web designer on TV.  =)

   I was able to do it in 30 seconds.  Disclaimer - English is my native tongue.

p.s.  Another option I haven't heard mentioned yet is converting to
digest form.  This keeps you on the list, but you get one e-mail per day
- it contains the day's business.  Like everything else for current
subscribers, it is under the heading 'IMC Subscribers' and requires you
to enter your addy and password to change your account.