[Imc] Fwd: Re: posting at the U-C IMC

Brian Hagy bhagy at urbana.indymedia.org
Tue Dec 11 00:56:32 UTC 2001

i would explain to him as kindly as possible what spamming is.  he might
not realize he's doing it.   i think asking him to post once a week falls
into his arguement of hindering speech (at least from his point of view).
so, maybe we should emphasize to him that we are a news resource, and that
if he thinks what he's offering is reporting on something that happened
(or even about to happen, thus accounting for religious possibilities),
then he should post it.  we don't yet have a column or opinion process
(though what's the diff between a column and a news story, i'm not sure).

i'm skeptical about saying having a link to a page that has stuff for sale
on it is automatically advertising.  i mean, The Nation has stuff for sale
on occassions, and Adbusters, and etc. etc.  i would argue that if in the
post it explicitly says something about either "buy this from me" or "you
can buy this on my website" (or anything within that framework), then
that's advertising (for commercial reasons, not advertising for
intellectual reasons, such as John Wason hinted at earlier).  Those posts
are the ones i thought we were targeting for hiding due to advertising,
not ones that have links to pages that have stuff to sell on them (unless
in the post it definitely references that fact that there are things to
buy on the web page).  i hope i'm being clear.  if not, ask and i'll see
if i can be more so.

brian