[Imc] MiniDisc decks

Zachary C.Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Thu Feb 1 19:38:02 UTC 2001

> i've had on my list of things for the sergei system a minidisc deck, so
> perhaps i should get around to getting it.  any research and info people
> could pass my way so that i can compare prices and functions would be
> deeply appreciated.

Well first of all, definately use http://www.minidisc.org/ as a
research starting point.

I really think the Sony MDS-PC3 seems like a good idea. It doesn't
have the "big controls" but it will act as a standalone unit and it
seems like the computer interface stuff could be useful. But its also
vaguely pricey at $400.

Lots of different decks have various PC link capability. We should
look for that. Non of the PC link is as cool as you would hope it
would be, but it is still useful.

Other nice features are PS/2 keyboard jack for entering
track titles (not neccessary if you have a PC link), disk cloning
capability (although perhaps you need 2 clone capable decks to do
proper cloning), multiple selectable input sources (not neccessary,
just vaguely nice).

Does anyone know the difference between S/PDIF and Toslink? Is there a
difference? Do we need to be concerned about it when evaluating
"optical digital inputs"?

> i, too, don't have tons of money, just a card with a
> high limit, which is about time to be maxed out again, don't yall think,
> heh heh.

join the club! my first new credit card since I cut up (and eventually
paid off) my last 7 all at once and already I'm being crazy with it
(but actually not nearly as bad as I was...I'm not paying rent or,
worse, other credit cards with it or anything :)

IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet
Ya Basta! - http://www.greens.org