[Imc] benefit concert 2/18?

Zachary C.Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Mon Feb 5 18:27:42 UTC 2001

My dad and his band (Buster's Dream) will be in town recording on
Sunday 2/18 and is looking for a venue to play while he is here. I
suggested a benefit show for the IMC and he was very excited about
doing that.

Does anyone have a problem with me moving forward with this? Does
anyone want to form a "benefit concert" committee with me to help with
the planning and implementation? After planning the open house I
figure this'll be a relative piece of cake :)

I will do all expenses including an ad in the octopus out of my own
pocket and all proceeds from the door (I was thinking $1 or $2 per
person) will go to IMC.

Is the space going to be available that evening?

A side note, Arun will be the drummer in my dad's band and so there
was some thought of double billing with Arun's band (HUmpty
Dumpster). This at first seems very funny a folk band opening for a
punk band but I think there is a lot of PR potential for that as far
as hyping the "independent" and "grassroots" natures of folk and
punk. I actually just heard Utah Phillips (old hobo anarchist folk
music playin' inspiration to all) do a special Punk show on his radio
show...if he can do it so can we.

But the question is, do our landlords care if we have a loud rockin'
band play right under their apartment at 9pm on a Sunday night?

Anyone who is interested in the music can visit these pages:
http://wolfgang.groogroo.com/gallery/ushocker/busters-dream/
http://arun.groogroo.com/hd/

I really want to just run with this, so I'm just waiting for people to
say "yeah zach go ahead and run with it" or "you big dork you can't do
that without coming to a Sunday meeting and making a proposal (at
which point it will be too late for publicity), so you'll have to find
a different venue".

In a more general sense, I am very interested in forming a working
group that has the organizing of performances at the space as its
primary mission. Particularly I want to organize a regularly scheduled
open stage night (I was thinking Monday nights).

IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet
Ya Basta! - http://www.greens.org